Self-care during and post-exam season
Some of you may have already begun taking your exams, others might still have a few days left, and some of you may not even have any! However, taking care of yourself is still something you need to keep in mind because exams can really take a toll on your mental and physical health.
Here is a list of things you can do (maybe even daily) to unwind during and after exam season:
- Take a nice long shower/bath – maybe splurge on a bath bomb and/or a nice-smelling body wash! Let your mind unwind and take a little break. You most certainly deserve it!
- Read/listen to a nice book. Maybe there’s been a book you’ve been waiting patiently to read. You don’t have to wait until exams are over! Let your brain relax a bit, maybe just before bed and enjoy some much-deserved, non-academic literature.
- Go into town with your friends, even if just for groceries. Get out of the house! This is something I have to force myself to do quite often during exams. I suddenly find myself closed off to the world during that time of the year and it is very important not to isolate yourself from the places and people that make you happy!
- Keep hydrated. This one might sound self-explanatory or too silly to point out, however, students often find themselves so stressed with studying that they forget to do basic things like drink water and eat.
- Do something creative or relaxing. Maybe learn to knit, or cross stitch. What about drawing/doodling? Do your nails, get a haircut, put on some nice hand/face cream. I personally have gone through a diamond painting phase, a cross-stitch phase, a wax stamping phase and many many more to get through exams.
- Get at least 8 hours of sleep! I cannot emphasize this enough, sleep is so healthy for you. It gives your studying brain a break and is the ultimate way of relaxation, no matter how hard you may find it because you’re studying.