ChatGPT-4 and its impact on engineering fields, a hot trending topic across the web, among students pursuing B.E. in Mechanical Engineering and other related fields of engineering programs and recruiters globally.
Therefore, we have decided to dig deeper and find out what language models like ChatGPT, Bard, and others can do and affect engineers. What would be better than asking the AI Chatbot itself, right? So we asked, and here is the reply as per our understanding of the response.
ChatGPT is an AI-based language model prepared to assist humans in multiple tasks that requires language processing such as question answering, language transition, text generation, and more. The AI chatbot can support engineers in their day-to-day work by providing them with relevant insights and information, however, it is unable to replace the specialised knowledge and skill set of engineers from a top engineering university in India.
Engineers like Mechanical Engineers are skilled and trained individuals responsible for designing, building, and maintaining complex systems. It requires learning from top private universities in India and a deep understanding of mathematics, science, and the latest technologies. They need to apply critical thinking, analysing skills, and decision-making abilities to come up with innovative engineering solutions.
While language models ChatGPT 4 can help engineers in their projects and tasks, it cannot replace their expertise and specialised skills. Graduates from Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science Engineering and other engineering programs will continue to play a vital role in various industries, and their subject-matter expertise and skills will always be in demand.
Therefore, we have the answer from the horse’s mouth. ChatGPT is an assistant for engineers, and it will increase their efficiency, not replace them.
So, if you are considering pursuing B.E. in Mechanical Engineering, there is nothing to worry about from these language models. Also, explore and enrol at a leading engineering university like Chitkara University for quality theoretical and practical learning, placement opportunities, and more.
In the next section, we will explore what is different in ChatGPT-4 from previous versions and its impact, particularly in Mechanical Engineering.
What is GPT-4?
OpenAI launched GPT-4 on 14th March’23. According to the CEO of OpenAI, Sam Altman, the latest version is more creative and reliable than previous versions.
Here are five improvements in GPT-4 that will help professionals and engineers to manage work smartly and increase productivity.
- GPT-4 can process up to 25,000 words with longer memory and supports lengthier communications. The earlier version processes up to 3,000 words.
- It is multi-modal and can process image prompts along with text commands.
- Advanced reasoning abilities and around 40 per cent factually accurate responses
- Programmed to minimise inappropriate use of the language model
- It can learn from users’ writing styles and help with screenplay writing, editing, and many more creative tasks.
Impact on Mechanical Engineers
The benefit of GPT-4 for Students Pursuing the Mechanical Engineering Program
Design and prototyping models for systems, devices, and machines consume a lot of time for mechanical engineers. GPT-4 can help to generate contextually relevant responses related to design and prototyping. It can help to save time, improve design quality, and you can devote spare time to innovative ideas.
Suppose you are involved in a manufacturing project and require solutions to enhance the efficiency of a machine. You can simply ask GPT-4, “What are the best methods to enhance the efficiency of a machine?”
The AI Chatbot will produce relevant responses, and you can use ideas to improve the efficiency and design of the machine.
For learning, while working on projects during the Mechanical Engineering program, we suggest Chitkara University. It is NAAC A+ accredited university that offers a perfect blend of practical and theoretical learning to groom expert engineers for tomorrow.
Better Communications Without Gaps
Organisations are exploring the scope to use of GPT-4 to improve communication and collaboration in the mechanical engineering field. Top engineering universities can also apply AI-based language models to improve communications in their mechanical engineering departments. Here are some examples for better understanding.
- Mechanical engineers at Volkswagen use ChatGPT to ask questions related to cross-cultural communications and technical communications.
- Some of the frequently asked questions include how to explain technical details related to engine design to nontechnical employees, how to navigate through cultural diversity to deal with partners from other countries and vendors, and more.
- NASA uses AI chatbots to enhance collaboration and communication in its mechanical engineering department. It helps with better communication strategies with the public, enhanced teamwork and more.
- General Electric applies ChatGPT for better communication between mechanical engineers and business managers. Ford and BMW are using AI chatbots for cross-cultural interactions across geographies. Siemens leverage the advantages of ChatGPT for better communication between mechanical engineers and customers.
The role of AI-based chatbots and language models like GPT-4, Bard, and others are still at a nascent stage and we will see much more advanced systems and more integration across industries in coming years.
Therefore, students pursuing B.E in Mechanical Engineering can apply GPT-4 during their program and at the workplace or business to save time, generate better ideas, and enhance communications and collaborations within the mechanical engineering department and other departments.
Challenges for Mechanical Engineering with GPT-4
- Too much use of GPT-4 for automation and support with the simulating physical system, generating 3D models, and other roles of a mechanical engineer might affect the job landscape. Engineers have to upskill. Students will have to pursue an engineering program at an engineering college that keeps them updated.
- Ethical considerations related to safe and reliable product designs
The application of GPT-4 for the mechanical engineering field can improve efficiency, and productivity with significant time-saving. We suggest aspiring mechanical engineers to pursue a B.E. in Mechanical Engineering from a top ranked engineering university to understand the nuances of AI-based language models and apply them to their learning and workplaces.
Are you considering a B.E. in Mechanical Engineering and worried about how GPT-4 will impact the field of engineering? Learn the blog to know what the AI Chatbot considers about its ability to replace engineers, benefits for mechanical engineers, challenges, and more. You can also explore Chitkara University for the best engineering programs and provide a booster to your career dreams.