Are you considering completing your undergraduate courses in the USA? You’re in the correct place, then! For many years the United States of America has been the top most destination for students to study. From the beginning itself, the USA always had a superior education system compared to the rest of the world and for many years the country is also dominating in the QS world ranking with MIT being the top college for more than 5 years and out of the top 10 universities in the world 5 of the universities in the list are American universities that highly indicates their caliber. In this blog, we’ll look at the best undergraduate universities in the USA, the best programs, admissions, tuition costs, and the application materials you’ll need to study in USA. So let’s get started!
Why study undergraduate in the USA?
Several factors make undergraduate education in the USA for international students a fantastic decision. Below mentioned are some reasons to help you understand why study undergraduate in the USA-
- First and foremost, the United States is home to some of the top colleges in the world, known for their superior teaching and research. If you do not believe us just search QS world ranking 2023 and see for yourself how well the American universities are ranked.
- Second, the United States provides almost every course that is available with a wide range of subjects that are highly regarded by businesses (companies) and offer graduates outstanding employment possibilities.
- Thirdly, studying in the United States might give students the chance to hone crucial abilities and develop skills like communication, problem-solving, and critical thinking.
- Finally, studying in the USA can be a life-changing experience that gives you the chance to meet individuals from various cultures, do new activities, and develop a more global viewpoint which in the future will help you work and stay in any country without any issue.
Top Universities to Study in the USA
It can be difficult to pick just one university because the USA is home to some of the top universities in the world. So to give you an overview below mentioned are some of the top universities to study in the USA-
- Harvard University
- Stanford University
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- California Institute of Technology (Caltech)
- Princeton University
- Yale University
- Columbia University
- Duke University
- University of Pennsylvania
- Brown University
All the above-mentioned universities provide a variety of undergraduate courses and have a reputation for quality in teaching and research.
Top Undergraduate Course
As mentioned above in the intro the USA provides all the courses that are available for students to study, but to give you an overview and help you decide below mentioned are some of the popular or one can say most picked undergraduate courses in the USA-
- Business and Management
- Computer Science
- Political Science
- Environmental Science
All the above-mentioned programs are highly sought-after, and highly appreciated by employers, and they provide graduates with outstanding employment opportunities.
In general, there are 2 main intakes in the USA that are-
- Fall Intake– The majority of undergraduate courses have a fall intake that starts in August or September. In the fall intake maximum number of universities are open for students offering almost each and every course that they can offer. For the Fall intake, the application deadline is often around December or January so make sure if you are planning for the fall intake do not miss the deadline.
- Spring Intake– Less frequent than Fall Intake, this intake starts in January or February. In this intake a limited number of universities open admission for students with a limited number of courses to choose from. For the Spring intake, the application date is often around October or November.
Please also note that apart from these 2 main intakes some selected universities open admissions around May with a very limited number of courses, so please make sure to check universities’ intakes on a regular basis.
Cost of Studying in the USA (Undergraduate)
We will not lie to you, depending on the university, course, and location, studying in the USA might be expensive compared to other parts of the world. Nonetheless, the following provides a general approximation of the cost of undergraduate courses in the USA:
- Tuition– Depending on the university and course, undergraduate tuition in the USA can cost anywhere from $10,000 to $70,000 a year. The costs can be cut by a little with the help of scholarships. To know more about USA scholarships, check out our other blogs about studying in the USA.
- Accommodation– The price of accommodation varies according to the location and kind of accommodation. Off-campus housing can cost between $7,000 and $25,000 per year, but on-campus housing can run between $5,000 and $20,000. Again the cost of housing totally depends upon the area you choose to live in, famous places in the USA like New York City, or LA might have very expensive housing options compared to other states or cities.
- Additional costs: Annual costs for many other costs including textbooks, transportation, and food range from $5,000 to $10,000.
Documents required for under graduation in the USA
Below mentioned are the documents required to study UG in the USA-
- Transcripts from high school: You must provide your high school (1oth and 12th) transcripts or an equivalent.
- Standard test scores- You must provide your standardized test results, such as those from the SAT or ACT.
- English language proficiency: If English isn’t your first language, you’ll need to submit your TOEFL or IELTS scores as proof of your English language ability. The minimum marks required will be 6.0 and nothing less than 6.0 in any subject. IELTS score requirements differ from university to university; the above-given score is an average. To meet your university’s requirement for IELTS make sure to check their website for the same information.
- Letters of recommendation: Your professors or school counselors will need to submit letters of recommendation on your behalf.
- Statement of Purpose (SOP)- A personal statement highlighting your academic and personal accomplishments, as well as your objectives and aspirations, must be submitted.
- An application form, which is available on the university’s website, must be filled out and submitted along with copies of all the required documents.
Making the decision to pursue your undergraduate studies in the United States can change your life, so it’s crucial to do your research before deciding. In this blog, we’ve examined the best undergraduate universities in the USA, the best programs, admissions, tuition costs, and the application materials you’ll need to study in the USA. With this knowledge, you’ll be better able to decide what is best for your future. Good Luck for our side!
Also if you find this blog interesting, then make sure to share this blog with your family and friends and let them also know about how beneficial this is for students who want to study undergraduate in the USA.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an undergraduate degree called in the USA?
An undergraduate degree is commonly referred to as a bachelor’s degree in the USA. Although some programs may take longer or shorter based on the course requirements and the student’s academic success, four years of full-time study is typically required to finish them.
How many years is an undergraduate in the USA?
In general, the undergraduate program takes about 4 years to get completed in the USA.
What is a 2-year undergraduate degree in the USA?
An associate degree is a name given to a 2-year undergraduate degree in the USA. Both community colleges and certain universities offer it, and the normal length of time to finish it is two years of full-time study. Associate degrees can be a stepping stone to a bachelor’s degree or a requirement for employment in some industries.
Read More- Undergraduate courses in Canada