Are you planning to study in New Zealand? The popularity of New Zealand among international students has increased tremendously in recent years. New Zealand is an attractive study abroad destination for Indian students due to its high-quality education, multicultural society, and stunning natural landscapes. However, Cost of Living and studying in New Zealand for Indian Students can prove to be expensive. It’s important for Indian students to plan and budget accordingly. New Zealand is popular among the student community due to its low tuition fees and affordability. This blog article explores the Living expenses in New Zealand for Indian students and tips on how to manage expenses.
Study in New Zealand Requirements
International students have to fulfill some basic requirements to study in New Zealand. Also, one should take care of the Cost of Living and Studying in New Zealand for Indian Students and other application requirements. Let’s check the list of required documents:
- Birth Certificate
- Passport size Photographs
- A Valid copy of Passport
- Letters of Recommendation if needed
- Previous Academic Degrees and Certificates
- Statement of Purpose/Application Essay
- Resume /CV
- Proof of minimum required Monetary Funds
Tuition Fees in New Zealand for Indian Students
Tuition fees in New Zealand depend on the type of the university, the program and the level of study. International students from Indian have to pay higher fees than the domestic students. According to Education New Zealand sources, international students in New Zealand have to pay the following average annual tuition fees:
|Course Name||Average Annual Tuition Fees|
|Undergraduate program||NZD 22,000 – 32,000 per year (approx.)|
|Postgraduate programs:||NZD 37,000 per year (approx.)|
|PhD programs||NZD 6,500 – 9,000 per year (approx.)|
The tuition fees can differ from university to university & program to program. For example, business, engineering, and medical programs cost more than humanities or social sciences.
Living Expenses in New Zealand for Indian Students
Besides paying tuition fees, Indian students have also to manage the cost of living in New Zealand. According to Education New Zealand sources, the estimated costs are as follows:
|Expenses||Costs per year (Approx.)|
|Accommodation||NZD 7,000 – 12,000 per year|
|Food||NZD 3,000 – 5,000 per year|
|Transportation||NZD 1,000 – 2,000 per year|
|Personal expenses||NZD 2,000 – 3,000 per year|
The living expenses can vary from city to city and is dependent on the lifestyle. For example, staying in Auckland or Wellington can prove to be more expensive than living in smaller cities. Also, the cost of traveling to remote island nation New Zealand can prove to be more expensive.
Tips for Managing Cost of Living in New Zealand
Managing Cost to Live in New Zealand can appear to be challenging for an international student in New Zealand. However, there are multiple ways an international student can reduce costs and save money. Let’s check some tips to manage Living expenses in New Zealand for Indian students:
- Take the scholarships route: Indian students can apply for scholarships and financial assistance offered by many universities in New Zealand. They can search for these scholarships online or can directly apply to their university’s international office.
- Accommodation sharing: Sharing accommodation with roommates can help a student to lessen Cost to Live in New Zealand. Indian students can browse through online or take help of their university’s housing office to search for shared accommodation in New zealand.
- Save money by cooking at home: Eating out regularly can prove to be an expensive affair in New Zealand. Indian students can take help of readily available Indian groceries and spices in New Zealand so that they can cook their favorite dishes at home.
- Avail public transportation: Indian students can utilize buses or trains regularly instead of relying on taxis or rental cars to save money. Public transportation in New Zealand offers affordable & reliable service.
- Apply for student discounts: Indian students should take advantage of their student ID to avail students discounts offered by many businesses in New Zealand.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is New Zealand cheap for Indian students?
Compared to other popular study abroad destinations such as the United States or the United Kingdom, New Zealand is more affordable. Tuition fees & Cost to Live in New Zealand differs from university to university & program to program. Indian students have to pay higher tuition fees compared to domestic students. According to Education New Zealand sources, Indian students have to shell up NZD 22,000 to 37,000 per year for the annual tuition fees. Living expenses in New Zealand for Indian students also include accommodation, food, transportation, and personal expenses. Also, students can apply multiple ways such as applying for scholarships, sharing accommodation, cooking at home, using public transportation, and student discounts to reduce costs and save money.
What is the total cost to study in New Zealand from India?
The total cost to study in New Zealand from India is different for each university, program, and city. The tuition fees can be a little bit higher for international students from India. According to Education New Zealand sources, International students in New Zealand have to shell out NZD 22,000 to 37,000 NZD per year for the annual tuition fees. The Cost to Live in New Zealand ranges from NZD 13,000 to 22,000 per year and includes accommodation, food, transportation, and personal expenses. So, the estimated total cost to study in New Zealand from India comes to around NZD 35,000 to 59,000 per year.
Is it easy to get PR in New Zealand?
Yes, it is a simple process to avail PR in New Zealand for international students. The New Zealand government has introduced a points-based immigration system . Any applicants who score a certain number of points in these points-based immigration systems are eligible to apply for a PR. Applicants are given points based on age, work experience, qualifications, and language proficiency. Any student who just passed out from college, age is below 55 years, possesses good English skills, etc can apply for PR in New Zealand. A good score of 6.5 or higher is required when applying for PR in New Zealand. It could take three months to complete the PR process in New Zealand successfully. Once students meet the set criteria, the PR process becomes simpler.
Read More- What does it Cost to Study in New Zealand?