Studying in Canada is a dream for many International students. Currently Canada is home to more than 6 lakhs international students from over 200 countries pursuing undergraduate & postgraduate studies. Due to its easy immigration policies, now it’s become easier to pursue Masters in Canada. Masters in Canada is of 1 to 2-year duration post-graduate course. However, a lot of students don’t know a lot about Best Courses to Study in Canada for Masters. This article will walk you through all the Best Courses to Study in Canada for Masters, their types, eligibility criteria & job prospects after that. Please check it out!
Why Study in Canada?
- Global Recognized Masters degrees
- Work Part-Time while studying
- Research Intensive Courses
- Post-Study Job Options
- Welcoming & Diverse Society
Types of Masters Courses in Canada
There are mainly three types of Masters Courses in Canada
- Course-based Master’s degree- A student should have passed the graduate level degree program to enroll for this course. This Master’s degree takes 1 to 2 years to complete. It also gives the choice for advanced specializations.
- Research-based Master’s degree– In this type of Master degree, students have to complete both thesis and coursework. This degree program has a two-year research period, but in some cases the research period may be extended.
- Co-operative Research Programs- These master’s programs are offered through cooperative education programs. These programs give students a chance to gain practice experience with placements in the chosen field of study. Employers also benefit from this program since they get highly qualified and motivated students to work on their specialized projects.
Masters in Canada – Admission Intake
There are three major admission intakes for Masters to Study in Canada. The Fall Intake is the most popular one, followed by Winter & Summer.
|Admission Intake||Applications Starts||Starting Month|
Masters in Canada – Eligibility Requirement
The Eligibility requirements may vary from course to course & university to university. However, the basic requirements remain the same & enlisted below:
- A minimum GPA score of 3.0/4.0 (equivalent to 65 to 70%) in an undergraduate degree
- Minimum GMAT score of 550 required
- Minimum GRE scores of 140 in Verbal section & 150 in Quantitative section
- Some Masters programs may require 1 to 3 years work experience
English Language Proficiency Tests for Masters in Canada
- IELTS Scores: 6.5-7.0
- TOEFL (IBT): 90+
Documents Requirements for Masters in Canada
- Completely filled admission application form
- Academic Transcripts from your previous educational institutions
- Letters of Recommendations (LORs)
- GRE/GMAT test scores
- English Language proficiency test scores
- Photocopy of passport
- Proof of funds
- Proof of application fees
- Statement of Purpose (SOP)
List of Best Courses to Study in Canada for Masters
Let’s’ take a look at the top 10 courses to pursue a Master’s degree in Canada:
- Computer Science– You can select a wide variety of courses in Computer Science degrees, ranging from Robotics and Data Science to Cloud Computing and Business Systems. Besides theoretical learning, universities also offer practical assignments, projects, research, and internships. If you want to learn all the latest trends in Computer Science, you must study in Canada. All the latest topics such as Software Engineering, E-Commerce, Networking, & Graphics are covered.
- Civil Engineering- A Master’s degree in Civil Engineering from a Canadian university will help you to become expert in the design, construction and maintenance of solid infrastructure as well as urban and environmental planning. Canada has a huge demand for Civil Engineers. So, if you are planning to work post completion of your course, you can start applying to study in Canada now!
- Public Health– A Public Health degree will train you about public health management systems, disease prevention, primary care and much more. This is one of the in-demand courses to study in Canada as the country gives top importance to public health. Canada is set to witness vast opportunity in this sector, and hence it is offering state-of-the-art Public Health study programs.
- Finance- Masters in Finance trains in various aspects of financial systems, investment banking, stock markets & various other business practices. Canada’s robust economy offers a perfect destination to study finance. Canada offers a variety of master’s courses in Finance including Master of Financial Management, Master of Financial economics, and other finance-related courses. Students are also trained in finance management skills.
- Human Resources Management- A Masters in Human Resources Management from Canada will help you to develop expertise in the areas of administration, communication, reporting, and management of resources of an organization. This Masters in Human Resources Management trains you in both theory & experimental training.
- Mechanical Engineering- Mechanical engineering master’s degree from Canada trains you in the designing, analyzing, manufacturing, and maintaining mechanical systems. Canada offers an extensive range of master’s courses in mechanical engineering that prepares you for a career as Mechanical Engineer, Manufacturing Engineer, & Project Engineer etc.
- Pharmacy- Master’s in Pharmacy from Canada offer specializations in Clinical Pharmacy, Biotechnology, Drugs, & Molecular Biology. As a Pharmacy student, you’ll have access to world-class Pharmacy laboratories & research facilities.
- Electrical Engineering- Besides gaining knowledge of Electrical Engineering basics, you will also get exposed to state-of-the-art engineering infrastructure, & real-life industry environments. A Masters in Electrical engineering will provide you a dream career in Electrical Engineering.
- Psychology- A Master’s degree in Psychology will provide you an option to specialize in the areas of Child Development Psychology, Behavioural Neuroscience, & Cognitive Science. It is generally a 1 to 2 year course.
- International Relations- International Relations master’s degrees from Canada will help you to learn the complexities of International law, Immigration, International Finance & Global Politics.
Masters in Canada – Student Visa Application
You’ll need a Canadian Study Permit to Study in Canada. This Study Permit is also necessary for Master’s students to work part-time during their studies. Try to apply for a Student Visa at least 4-5 months in advance, since it takes time to process the application.
- Get a Letter of Acceptance from a recognized University/College in Canada
- Visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website
- Fill the application form and apply on CIC website
- Submit all the required documents within 2 months
- Pay the application processing fee
- Get ready for an interview at the nearby Canadian Consulate nearby
Features:- The Study Permit allows you to stay in Canada for the period of your course plus 90 days extra also. During this extra period, you can also renew the Student Visa.
Jobs after Masters in Canada for International Students
There are a lot of job opportunities for international students after completing their Masters in Canada. On an average the students get job placements in the range of 40,000 CAD to 1,00,000 CAD (approx.) per annum. Let’s see some of the top paying jobs:
|Job Role||Annual Salary (CAD) (approx.)|
|Computer Systems Engineer||87,000|
|Civil Engineer||45,000- 55,000|
Canada is the best country to pursue Masters. Universities in Canada are globally renowned for education standards, research excellence, and innovation. On top of that, the cost of education is relatively low compared to other countries, excellent quality of life, and robust economy. If you are planning to pursue Masters from Canada, there are some essential things you should know, especially the courses to specialize in. Hope this blog has answered all your doubts regarding Best Courses to Study in Canada for Masters. Liked this blog! Please share it!