Fashion, the essence of every individual and organization, reflects who they are, what they stand for, and what they could become. The world is incomplete, generic, and soulless without fashion, which represents individuality, beliefs, attitudes, and culture. The fashion industry, being one of the biggest consumers of natural resources, is in dire need of a revamp. Statistics also mention that the fashion industry alone accounts for over 10% of the world’s carbon footprint, as it releases 1.2 billion tons of greenhouse gasses every year. “Sustainability” is what could redesign the industry and promote the well-being of people, the environment, and communities. Sustainable fashion is all about maintaining a balance between people, planet, and profits. It rests on the pillars of social equity, economic viability, and environmental conservation.
Read on to learn more about sustainable fashion trends, and fashion design courses in Bangalore
Why Is Sustainable Fashion Important?
Sustainable fashion advocates social and environmental responsibility in terms of manufacturing, distributing, and using the finished goods. It considers both socio-economic and environmental factors in business.
Sustainability in fashion is attained through the following means:
- Ethics: Fashion designers and manufacturers hold strong ethics and values in managing the business, right from the collection of raw materials to the designing process, working conditions, and trade practices. Their procedures and operations avoid causing harm to people, other beings, and the planet. Moreover, they also ensure that employees and workers work in a healthy environment and are appropriately compensated for their efforts.
- Environment Consciousness: This aspect involves the use of environment-friendly, organic, and biodegradable materials and practices to avoid any harm to the atmosphere and the environment. It also aims to enhance the well-being of the environment and people through interaction.
- Circular Practices: It includes thrifting, reusing, recycling, and upcycling old products or designs to create something new and trendy.
- Slow Use: This aspect of sustainable fashion includes sharing of ideas or sharing and renting of merchandise for public programmes and events like award ceremonies, galas, charity balls, festive celebrations, etc.
How Can Sustainable Fashion Designers Make A Positive Difference To The World?
- Sustainable fashion designers can create distinctive and one-of-a-kind items that do not harm animals and do not generate toxic waste.
- Unlike fast fashion trends, sustainable fashion brands promote human and animal rights. They offer decent living wages for the employees and discourage experimentation on animals while also controlling the production process to avoid the fast consumption of resources.
- They actively optimize their design and production processes to reduce carbon emissions.
- By reusing and recycling items, designers can avoid waste generation and landfill issues.
- Did you know? 60% of the garments used in fashion shows, glamor, entertainment, and recreation industries are made from fossil fuels that take hundreds of years to form. Likewise, the synthetic or plastic-based fibers used for clothing take several centuries to decompose, thus causing land pollution. Therefore, sustainable fashion designers only use biodegradable, organic, and easily replaceable raw materials for their merchandise.
- The toxic waste water produced during the manufacturing process in cloth factories is often dumped into the nearby rivers and water bodies. Sustainable fashion not only promotes the use of less water during the process but also avoids using chemicals that can harm the environment.
- By designing eco-friendly products, sustainable fashion designers not only contribute to By designing eco-friendly and sustainable products, designers can not only help solve the climate change problem but also promote a healthy lifestyle and cultural shift.
Seeing the rising demand for eco-friendly products, many fashion designing colleges in Bangalore now offer sustainable fashion design courses.
Sustainable Fashion Design Courses In Bangalore
They shape students into designers with a strong awareness of ethics and conservation practices. They combine the technical knowledge of manufacturing with creative designing while ensuring that students follow ethical practices at every stage. The course covers multiple topics ranging from textile design to garment construction, organic dyeing, fabric finishing, and accessorizing. Thus, students develop a wide range of skills. E.g., collaboration, creative thinking & expression, design thinking, critical thinking, observation, empathy, etc.
Students also get the opportunity to brush up on their digital skills while working with different kinds of software (like Illustrator and Photoshop). They acquire knowledge on costing, accounting, merchandising, retail, etc. The knowledge is useful in growing a business. Besides this, students also learn about eco-friendly fabrics, collection processes, etc. They get to attend seminars, receive training, participate in specialized workshops, and work on a personalized portfolio that can help them pursue a rewarding career.
Careers In Sustainable Fashion Design Industry
After completing their program, students can work as:
- Sustainable fashion designers (They are experts in drawing and designing and usually work for various fashion houses or companies.)
- Ethical trade managers (This role includes researching, acquiring, and sourcing sustainable materials for supply chain processes and customer needs. These individuals need to have in-depth knowledge of local as well as international environments and laws.)
- Product specialists (These experts must identify the purpose and use of various materials when designing products. They have to manage and troubleshoot day-to-day production while adhering to strong ethics, safety standards, and quality control practices.)
- Sustainability managers (They control and oversee the sourcing, designing, development, implementation, distribution, and promotion of environment-friendly fashion trends and strategies within the company. They need to be aware of the production & sourcing processes, animal welfare rights, business policies, legal and environmental compliances, etc.)
- CSR managers (Corporate social responsibility managers aim to reduce a company’s risk exposure while contributing to its economic and social development without negatively impacting the community or the environment. They’re also responsible for protecting the rights of workers in the company.)
- Sustainable Fashion Influencers (They’re bloggers or social media content publishers that aim to make the world aware of sustainable fashion trends, brands, and products).
Does this encourage you to pursue a career in sustainable fashion design? If you’re looking for the best fashion designing colleges in Bangalore then