Are you aiming to Study in Ireland? If Yes, then you’re at the right place. This blog post will try to answer all your queries about Studying in Ireland. Every year thousands of students from all around the world choose to Study in Ireland. With a fantastic education system, Irish universities are highly renowned and consistently rank in top universities worldwide. At present, around 32,000 International students from over 100 countries are pursuing studies in Ireland. Around 8 Irish universities rank in Top 100 QS World university rankings. If you are planning to accomplish your dream of higher studies in Ireland, this blog post will bring you all the essentials about Eligibility Criteria to Study in Ireland. Check it out!
Eligibility Criteria to Study in Ireland – Documents Requirements
For admission into any bachelor degree course of Irish Universities, a minimum of 60% is required in Class 12. Students who are applying for admission into Foundation & Diploma programs have to score a minimum of 50% in Class 12. The Student should have attained at least the age of 18. The following documents need to be submitted during the application process for admission into Irish Universities:
- Academic transcripts/marksheets of class 10 & 12
- English language proficiency test scores (IELTS, TOEFL, or PTE)
- Statement of Purpose (SOP)
- Academic Resume/CV
- Two Letters of Recommendations (LORs) from your previous employers/managers under whom you’ve worked and know you well. (For candidates who have work experience).
- Extra-curricular activities (State- or National-level certificates/achievements if any)
- Financial statements
- Bank Balance statement
- Proof of Education loan (if any taken)
- ITR return papers
- Passport-size photographs
- Scanned Passport copy
- Health Insurance
English Eligibility Criteria to Study in Ireland
Either of the IELTS, TOEFL, or PTE scores are accepted as an English Eligibility Criteria to Study in Ireland. The minimum scores in either of the English Proficiency tests for admission to Irish universities varies from one university to another. These tests are mandatory regardless of whichever course you choose.
- IELTS Requirements to Study in Ireland
- IELTS Academic Tests contain four sections:-
- IELTS Academic Tests contain four sections:-
The scores are between 1-9 band. Minimum IELTS score requirement is 6.5 for admission into Irish Universities. IELTS is not mandatory for native citizens of English-Speaking nations, i.e. where English is the official language of the nation.
IELTS Exam fees cost around INR 15,500 approx. for registration. IELTS score is valid for around 2 years.
- TOEFL Requirements to Study in Ireland- TOEFL basically examines North American English in writer, spoken, & listening form for International Students. The Education Testing Service (ETS) performs the TOEFL test and provides test scores to each candidate. TOEFL scores are accepted as English Proficiency Test Scores by all the Irish Universities & Colleges. The minimum score to qualify for Irish Universities in the TOEFL test is 570 (Paper-based) or 90 (web-based test).
- TOEFL Exam Fees- TOEFL Exam fees for registration is around $190 or INR 15,700 (approx.). TOEFL score is valid for a period of 2 years.
- PTE Requirements to Study in Ireland- PTE Academic conducts the PTE tests. Although it is not as popular as TOEFL, or IELTS, PTE is far more convenient then these two since it is purely computer-based and provides the results within 24 hours. Minimum PTE score required is 60 for admission across Irish Universities.
- PTE Exam Fees- PTE Exam fees is around INR 14,700 (approx.). PTE score has a validity period of 2 years.
For admission to undergraduate courses of Irish Universities, you have to submit applications through the Central Applications Office (CAO). CAO is an online enrolment system for admission into Irish Universities. First, you’ve to create a user account on the CAO website to provide your basic information. Then, submit all the scanned copies of your documents & TOEFL/PTE/IELTS scores. Then finally pay the application fees. The amount of application fees may vary depending on the course and university you’ve chosen.
- Shortlist the course and the university to study
- Visit the university websites for more information
- Appear for English Language proficiency tests like IELTS or TOEFL
- Submit SOP & LOR to the selected university
- Register at Central Applications Office (CAO)
- Appear for the video interviews of the universities/colleges who’ve selected you.
- If you receive an acceptance letter, then apply for a Irish Study Visa.
Irish Universities have two admission Intakes:
- Autumn (Semester 1)
- Spring (Semester 2)
|June/July||Autumn Intake Application Deadline|
|September||Semester 1 starts|
|September/October||Spring Intake Application Deadline|
|January||Semester 2 starts|
Irish Student Visa Requirements
International students who don’t belong to the EU have to apply for a Student Visa. Let’s see the types of Student Visas & their Eligibility Criteria to Study in Ireland.
D Study Visa Requirements (for Courses longer than 3 months)
- A Letter of acceptance from an eligible Irish university
- Passport Validity of at least 12 months after the proposed date of arrival
- Valid English language certificate skills
- Proof of funds (minimum 7000 Euros) to show that you can support yourself during the course.
- Medical Insurance Papers
- A confirmation letter from you that you’ll Ireland after the course.
- Academic Transcripts
C Study Visa Requirements (for Courses shorter than 3 months)
- Confirmation that you will leave Ireland at the expiry of your visa
- Proof of onward travel from Ireland
- Evidence of adequate funds to sustain you during your time in Ireland
- Confirmation that you will not travel to the UK from Ireland without a valid UK visa
- Having an eligible immigration and criminal history that does not preclude you from being unable to get a visa
How to apply for a Irish Student Visa?
The application process for a student visa includes the following steps
- Apply for a course at your selected university, submit all the required information & the supporting documents to prove your eligibility.
- Visit the Irish Student Visa online application page, read all the instructions carefully & ensure that you have all the required documents with you.
- Submit online at the Irish Student Visa application website:
- A signed summary of your application form;
- Passport copy
- Color photographs
- Pay online the Irish Student Visa fees (60 Euro for a single entry, & 100 Euro for multiple entries). Submit the required documents also.
- Finally, wait for the approval decision on your Student Visa application. If approved, you’re ready to Study in Ireland.
- Once you arrive in Ireland, you have to take an appointment with Irish Naturalization and Immigration Service (INIS) for a residence permit. Pay the required 300 Euro fee.
Ireland is a beautiful, progressive country & Europe’s leading economic powerhouse. Irish people are warm & welcoming. With an employment rate of around 90% and home to some of the world’s top tech companies like Google, Twitter. Microsoft, Airbnb, Mckinsey, Deloiite & Amazon, Ireland is a top destination for International Students. We hope that this blog post has helped you to understand all the important details about the Eligibility criteria to Study in Ireland.