Mechanical Engineering is one of the most perennial branches of engineering which has always been the choice of innovative minds since its inception. Mechanical engineering deals with the notions of machines, thermodynamics, fluids, mechanics, and structural scrutiny. Applications of Mechanical Engineering are omnipresent and inseparable from society. Even in today’s digital world, this stream has its charm and fascination, the theories of Mechanical Engineering are used in scheming some of the best and most proficient state-of-the-art motor vehicles, developed units, airplanes as well as other industrial machinery. Apart from the machinery and vehicles, mechanical engineers contribute to the expansion of power equipment, engines, and complex machinery systems. Not only the strategy and manufacturing but also the maintenance and testing of such machinery and equipment are written in the errands of mechanical engineers.
However, this classic branch of engineering is fronting an alarming question – whether it is still the right stream for students who love machines or not? The Answer is a ‘BIG YES’. So here, we are going to elaborate on the scope of mechanical engineering and its forthcoming prospects.
What is Mechanical Engineering?
Mechanical engineering is the subdivision of engineering that deals with the proposal, manufacturing, maintenance, and testing of machines. It is also deliberated as one of the most miscellaneous and multipurpose disciplines of engineering. Mechanical engineering also comprises the presentation of mechanics, material science, applied mathematics, and physics.
With the upsurge of modern technology, mechanical engineering has gained a newfound prominence with more and more students opting to learn less explored domains of robotics, mechatronics, Industry 4.0, smart manufacturing, digital manufacturing, nanotechnology, smart materials, etc.
New trends and future scope
The opportunities in mechanical engineering are no longer limited to just the manufacturing and testing of massive machinery and equipment. With technology making new-fangled advancements, there are numerous new domains in mechanical engineering which are being taken up by fanatical engineers. These domains comprise robotics, smart materials, nanotechnology, computer-aided design, smart machines, Industry 4.0 geomechanics, etc. The most decidedly pursued domains are robotics, digital manufacturing, smart manufacturing, Automobile Engineering, and mechatronics.
Applications of Mechatronics and Robotics in manufacturing
Mechatronics is an approaching field of engineering which embraces applications of mechanical, electronics, control, and computer engineering to develop products, processes, and systems with superior flexibility, ease in a redesign, and ability of reprogramming. Mechatronics applications are there in every invention of daily usage such as automobiles, autofocusing digital cameras, Automatic washing machines, industrial robotics, hard disks, electro-pneumatic valves, etc.
An industrial robot is a robot system used for industrialization. Typical solicitations of robots include welding, painting, assembly line, picking and placing for printed circuit boards, packaging and labeling, palletizing, product inspection, and testing; all proficient with high fortitude, speed, and precision. The robot is everywhere in manufacturing but there is an enormous scope of manufacturing robots in India and multi-skilled mechanical Engineers are always in demand for this purpose.
Job prospects in industries for mechanical engineers
When we talk about the diverse job roles for mechanical engineers, their similarities can be broadly categorized into the subsequent few segments –
- Design – In this role, the mechanical engineers would be accountable for drafting technical sketches either with tools or computers. Any mechanical engineer virtuous with sketches or computer-aided drawing is idyllic for such a position.
- Production – The production job role generally encompasses consultation and regulation in manufacturing machines and their mechanisms. If you are an individual who wants to experience manufacturing procedures and production processes, this would be the accurate job role for you.
- Analysis and Testing – In this job role, you would be answerable for the scrutiny and testing of machine parts, systems, and paraphernalia. Your errands would embrace checking for culpabilities that could have come up in the manufacturing or design procedures.
- Installation & Maintenance – The job role comprises acquaintance with the installation of machine parts in the industrialized location, along with their proper upkeep as per the provided stipulations. The installation and maintenance are only suggested for those who are robust in practical acquaintance instead of academic knowledge.
- Automation– To embed accuracy, speed, repeatability, and flexibility of machines, automation is the utmost need of the industrial world. It unfolds vast scope for the mechanical engineers, who better understand the working of machines.
- Industry 4.0, Smart manufacturing and digital Manufacturing- this is a very new domain, where machines are being provided with eyes, ears, and decision-making capability. Machines can interact with each other to provide better quality, service, accuracy, and flexibility. Skilled Mechanical Engineers are the need of the hour to implement such systems.
- Research – Research is one of the most exhilarating job roles in mechanical engineering. Your job tasks would embrace researching and executing findings for the development of new products using cutting-edge technologies.
As you can see, the opportunities in mechanical engineering and the job scenarios aren’t just good but all-time promising. Being a fundamental discipline required by almost every field of study, mechanical engineering graduates are always an enormous demand.
Bridging the proficiency gap and preparing for the challenges
It is palpable that the demand for mechanical engineers will soon exceed the supply, making mechanical engineering one of the furthermost valued disciplines of engineering again. Nevertheless, one of the major challenges being faced by afresh graduated students today is the absence of skills and proper acquaintance due to the old school curriculum being followed even after the introduction of several new-fangled trends and technologies. Associating the skill gap is the key to gripping a respectable job opportunity after your studies in mechanical engineering. From coding to communication skills and being able to build social relationships, you need to be equipped for industrial demands.
Leave a Reply